Crockpot French Dip Sandwiches have tender and juicy beef roast and onions cooked long and slow and served on hoagie sandwich rolls with broiled melted provolone cheese. The cooking broth makes an awesome Au Jus for dipping. This is an easy small batch recipe perfect for lunch or dinner for two.
Scroll to the bottom for a full recipe card.
I LOVE French dip sandwiches but my husband isn’t a big fan of dipping his into the Au Jus, so instead, he spreads horseradish sauce all over his sandwich and absolutely loves it that way. Win win!
How to make Crockpot French Dip Sandwiches:
This post contains affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, if you click through an affiliate link and make a purchase, I may make a small commission. This disclosure pertains to all Amazon links.
Sprinkle the roast with the salt and black pepper on both sides.
Place the beef in a 4 quart slow cooker crockpot. Click for a 4 quart crockpot.
Cut the onion into slices.
Place the onions over the beef in the slow cooker.
Add the French onion soup, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, minced garlic, and thyme.
Cover the crockpot and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
Remove the meat from the crockpot and place in a bowl. Use a fork to shred it.
Preheat the broiler on high heat.
Place the hoagie rolls, split open, on a baking sheet.
Fill the sandwich rolls with shredded beef.
Use tongs to get onions from the crockpot and place on top of the beef.
Top with provolone cheese slices, using 2 slices per sandwich.
Broil open-faced for about 3 – 5 minutes, until cheese is nicely melted. Watch closely.
Ladle the Au Jus liquid from the crockpot into two individual dipping bowls.
Serve the sandwiches with the Au Jus for dipping.
- 1 lb boneless chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 large onion
- 14.5 oz can French onion soup (or beef broth)
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp jarred minced garlic
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme
- 2 large hoagie sandwich rolls
- 4 slices Provolone cheese
- Sprinkle roast with salt and black pepper on both sides.
- Place the beef in a 4 quart slow cooker crockpot. Click for a 4 quart crockpot.
- Cut onion into slices.
- Add onions to slow cooker along with French onion soup, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, minced garlic, and thyme.
- Cover crockpot and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Remove meat from crockpot and place in a bowl. Use a fork to shred it.
- Preheat broiler on high heat.
- Place hoagie rolls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Open oagie rolls and fill with shredded beef and onions from crockpot.
- Top with provolone cheese slices, using 2 slices per sandwich.
- Broil open-faced for about 3 - 5 minutes, until cheese is nicely melted. Watch closely.
- Ladle Au Jus liquid from crockpot into two individual dipping bowls.
- Serve sandwiches with Au Jus for dipping.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1191Total Fat: 68gSaturated Fat: 31gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 32gCholesterol: 262mgSodium: 2145mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 89g