Taco Salad in fried tortilla bowls are easy and delicious. These homemade edible bowls are deep fried to a crispy golden brown, then filled with taco meat and fresh taco salad ingredients.
This recipe is the perfect summer time, or any time, dinner for two or romantic impressive date night meal. This is NOT diet food.
Scroll to the bottom for a full recipe card.
It’s easy and quick to prepare and the flavor combination is amazing.
How to make Taco Salad in Fried Tortilla Bowls:
This post may contain affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, if you click through an affiliate link and make a purchase, I may make a small commission.
Heat the oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees F.
When the oil is fully heated, place one tortilla very gently into the oil. Press it down using a steel soup ladle very slowly until the tortilla is touching the bottom. If needed, use tongs to help place the tortilla correctly. The sides of the tortilla will float up around the ladle forming the bowl shape.
Fry the tortilla until brown and crisp about 2 or 3 minutes.
Using tongs, very carefully remove the tortilla from the oil and place upside down on a wire rack placed over a baking sheet to drain.
Repeat with the second tortilla.
While the tortillas drain, brown the ground beef and onion in a frying pan over medium heat. Drain the grease, then add the taco seasoning and cook according to the package directions.
Add the black beans to the taco meat and cook until heated through.
To assemble the salad, turn the tortilla bowls up-side right. Fill each with lettuce, taco meat mixture, tomato, cheese, sour cream, and Catalina dressing.
Taco Tater Tot Casserole
This homemade Taco Tater Tot Casserole for two features homemade taco seasoning with ground beef, black beans, tater tots, and enchilada sauce topped with gooey melted Colby Jack cheese.
Chicken Taco Orzo Skillet
This Chicken Taco Orzo Skillet recipe combines chicken, onion, red bell pepper, garlic, and orzo pasta in a delicious taco flavored cheesy sauce, and is then garnished with colorful Roma tomatoes and green onion.
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Bowls
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Bowls are packed full of shredded chicken, black beans, salsa, southwest seasonings, and rice topped with cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, and green onion.
Grilled Taco Burgers
These grilled Taco Burgers are incredibly delicious and juicy. Homemade taco seasoning is combined with ground beef, formed into burgers and grilled to perfection. They are topped with melty cheddar cheese and all your favorite taco toppings.
For the Bowls:
- Oil for deep frying
- 2 burrito sized tortillas
For the Salad:
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 1 cup can black beans (drained)
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 3 cups lettuce (shredded or diced)
- 1 tomato (diced)
- 1 cup cheese (shredded)
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 4 Tbsp Catalina salad dressing
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees F (190 C). Click for a deep fryer.
- When oil is fully heated, place one tortilla very gently into oil. Press it down using a steel soup ladle very slowly until tortilla is touching the bottom. If needed, use tongs to help place tortilla correctly. The sides of the tortilla will float up around the ladle forming the bowl shape. Click for a steel soup ladle.
- Fry tortilla until brown and crisp about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Using tongs, very carefully remove tortilla from oil and place upside down on a wire rack placed over a baking sheet to drain.
- Repeat with second tortilla.
- While tortillas drain, brown ground beef and onion in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Drain grease, then add taco seasoning and cook according to package directions.
- Add black beans to taco meat and cook until heated through.
- To assemble salad, turn tortilla bowls up-side right. Fill each with lettuce, taco meat mixture, tomato, cheese, sour cream, and Catalina dressing.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1392 Total Fat: 74g Saturated Fat: 29g Trans Fat: 4g Unsaturated Fat: 37g Cholesterol: 198mg Sodium: 2730mg Carbohydrates: 109g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 21g Sugar: 18g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 73g