This homemade creamy green bean casserole, with fresh green beans, a rich creamy mushroom sauce from scratch, and crispy French’s Fried Onion topping is delicious, easy, and quick and cooks in just one pan.
This classic recipe makes a great side dish for two and is perfect for intimate date night meals, Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners.
Scroll to the bottom for a full recipe card.
Green bean casserole was originally developed for Campbell’s Soup Company in 1955 as a way to market their cream of mushroom soup. To learn more check out The Origins of the Mysterious Green Bean Casserole.
How to make creamy Green Bean Casserole from scratch:
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F (220 C).
Wash the green beans in cold water, them cut the ends and dice the beans in half or thirds.
Chop the mushrooms into halves or quarters.
This post may contain affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, if you click through an affiliate link and make a purchase, I may make a small commission.
Over medium heat, melt the butter in a cast iron skillet. Click for a cast iron skillet.
Add the chopped mushrooms, salt, and the black pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to give off some of their moisture.
Stir in the minced garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
Pour in the chicken broth and simmer for 3 minutes.
Lower the heat to medium-low and add the heavy cream. Stirring occasionally, cook about 5 minutes.
Turn off the heat and stir in the green beans.
Sprinkle the French’s Fried Onions over the top and bake until bubbly, about 10 minutes.
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Pecan Marshmallow Streusel Recipe
These stuffed sweet potatoes for two have rich sweet potatoes covered in a delicious marshmallow, brown sugar, and pecan streusel topping. Cook the potatoes in your crock pot slow cooker or follow the directions for baking them. This is the perfect Fall, Winter, and cool Spring side dish. Try it with your intimate Thanksgiving dinner.
One Pot Cheesy Creamed Corn
One Pot Cheesy Creamed Corn has a delicious combination of buttery corn mixed with cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and seasonings. This cheesy version is so much better than a store bought can of creamed corn. It is easy and quick to make, ready in just 15 minutes.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh green beans
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 ounces mushrooms
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon jarred minced garlic
- 1/4 cup unsalted chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup French’s Fried Onions
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 C).
- Rinse green beans, trim the ends and cut beans in half or thirds.
- Slice mushrooms into halves or quarters.
- Over medium heat, melt butter in a cast iron skillet. Click here for a cast iron skillet.
- Add mushrooms, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms begin to give off their moisture.
- Stir in garlic and cook 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and simmer 3 minutes.
- Decrease heat to medium-low and add heavy cream. Stirring occasionally, cook 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in green beans.
- Top with French’s Fried Onions and bake until bubbly, about 10 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234 Total Fat: 21.1g Saturated Fat: 12.6g Cholesterol: 56mg Sodium: 426mg Carbohydrates: 10.3g Fiber: 2.5g Sugar: 1.9g Protein: 4g