This homemade stuffing is very easy and is a classic bread stuffing which uses a generous amount of chopped celery, onion and seasonings and can be baked alone or inside of a small turkey.
This simple recipe takes only 5 minutes of prep and is completely ready in just 45 minutes.
This small batch recipe is perfect for an intimate Thanksgiving, Christmas, or as a side dish for two any night of the week.
Scroll to bottom for full recipe card with ingredients.
For more on the history and origins of stuffing, or dressing as it’s also known, read this article.
How to make the best small batch homemade stuffing:
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 C).
This post contains affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, if you click through an affiliate link and make a purchase, I may make a small commission. This disclosure pertains to all Amazon links.
Spray a 20 oz. oven safe baking dish with non-stick spray. Click for a 20 oz. oven safe baking dishes.
Dice the onion and celery into small bite sized pieces.
Heat a saucepan over medium heat, add the onion, celery, and broth. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
While the onions and celery cook, toast the bread slices.
Spread each piece of toast with butter and cut the toast into bite sized cubes.
To the sauce pan, stir in the thyme, sage, salt, and black pepper.
Place the toasted bread cubes in a medium bowl.
Add the onion, celery, and broth mixture to the bread cubes and toss gently to combine.
Pour the stuffing into the prepared oven safe baking dish.
Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Remove the foil and bake 5 more minutes until lightly browned.
- 3 slices good quality day-old white bread
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 C).
- Spray a 20 oz. oven safe baking dish with non-stick spray. Click for 20 oz. oven safe baking dishes.
- Dice the onion and celery.
- In a covered saucepan over medium heat, cook the onion and celery in the broth for 5 minutes.
- While the veggies cook, toast the bread slices.
- Spread each with the butter and cut the toast into cubes.
- To the sauce pan, stir in the thyme, sage, salt, and pepper.
- Place the toast cubes in a medium bowl.
- Add the onion and celery mixture to the bread cubes and toss gently.
- Pour the stuffing into the prepared baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 5 more minutes until lightly browned.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 273Saturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 508mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g