This 3 Ingredient Hawaiian Pulled Pork is a traditional Hawaiian dish that is one of the easiest meals to make and is so good! This tender and juicy Kalua smoky pulled (or shredded) pork melts in your mouth, has a smoky flavor, and uses just three ingredients. It is also known as Kalua Pulled Pork.
Why I love this recipe
In Hawaii, they make luau pork by placing a whole pig wrapped in banana leaves in an underground oven. This version is the next best thing. It is super easy to prepare, then let it slow cook in your crockpot. I start mine around 4 p.m. one day, flip it over before bedtime, and then shred it into freezable batches the next morning.
This recipe is moderately low-carb, but not necessarily by Keto extreme low-carb guidelines.
Different ways to use this recipe are to use in this Smoky Pulled Pork Tacos for Two or Cheesy BBQ Pulled Pork Fries and Smothered Pulled Pork Burritos. Use it for cold pork sliders on Hawaiian rolls or hamburger buns, add barbecue sauce to make BBQ pulled pork sandwiches, or try some on top of a loaded baked potato.
As an Amazon Associate, I may make a small commission, at no additional cost, if you purchase through product affiliate links in this post.
(amounts are listed in the recipe card at the bottom of the post)
pork butt roast (or boneless pork shoulder roast)
Hawaiian sea salt
You can use coarse sea salt, Hawaiian sea salt, or Himalayan pink salt. Do not use table salt.
Use pork butt roast or boneless pork shoulder roast.
Equipment used for this recipe
How to make classic Kalua pork
Step 1 – Pierce the pork roast all over with a fork or knife.
Step 2 – Rub the Hawaiian salt over the meat.
Step 3 – Place roast in a slow cooker.
Step 4 – Pour the liquid smoke over the pork.
Step 5 – Cover, and cook on Low for 12 to 16 hours, turning once during cooking time.
Step 6 – Remove large chunks of the tender meat from the slow cooker, and shred it on a cutting board by using two forks and pulling small portions of meat in opposite directions.
Step 7 – Discard as much fat as you want. I usually leave a little bit in.
Traditional sides for this Hawaiian Kalua Pork recipe are macaroni salad, white rice, potato salad, or cole slaw.
Store small portions in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 – 5 days.
Step 1 – Divide the shredded meat into equal portions (about 1/2 pound each).
Step 2 – Place the pork into quart-size freezer bags. Add about 1 tablespoon of liquid from the crockpot to each bag for moistness and store in the freezer until ready to use.
Step 3 – Thaw in the refrigerator before using it in your favorite recipe.
To get the juiciest and most tender pulled pork, cooking the pork low and very slowly is the secret to the juiciest and most tender pulled pork. Using a slow cooker crock pot is one of the best cooking methods to achieve this.
You may also enjoy
- 2 - 3 pound pork butt roast (or boneless shoulder roast)
- 1/2 Tablespoon Hawaiian sea salt (or coarse sea sale, or coarse kosher salt)
- 1/2 Tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring
- Pierce the pork roast all over with a fork or knife.
- Rub the Hawaiian salt over the meat.
- Place roast in a slow cooker.
- Pour the liquid smoke over the pork.
- Cover, and cook on Low for 12 to 16 hours, turning once during cooking time.
- Remove large chunks of the tender meat from the slow cooker, and shred it on a cutting board by using two forks and pulling small portions of meat in opposite directions.
- Discard as much fat as you want. I usually leave a little bit in.
- I start mine around 4 p.m. one day, flip it over before bedtime, and then shredded it into freezable batches the next morning.
- To Freeze: Divide the shredded juicy pork into equal portions (about 1/2 lb each), and place in quart-size freezer bags. Add 1 Tablespoon of liquid from the crockpot to each bag for moistness and store in the freezer until ready to use. Thaw in the refrigerator before using it in your favorite recipe.
As an Amazon Associate I may make a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you make a purchase through product links in this post.
Hamilton Beach 4-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker With Dishwasher-Safe Crock and Lid, Silver (33443)
Bundle - 2 Items: Colgin Gourmet Liquid Smoke - Natural Mesquite and Natural Hickory Flavors (4 oz each)
Progressive Prep Solutions Cutting Board, Juice Grooves, Dishwasher Safe, Measures 17.38" X 11.25"
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 458Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 146mgSodium: 516mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 39g
Nutrition information is a guideline only, is calculated automatically by third party software, and absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.
Hi and welcome. I’m Zona and I have a passion for recipes. I share recipes, tips, tricks, and resources to help you cook for two. Eat, drink, and enjoy!