These beef and bean wet burritos are smothered with red sauce and melted cheese. Top with your favorites such as guacamole, sour cream, lettuce, onion, and tomatoes. I am often requested to make these when company comes over.
If you’re cooking for two, you can freeze the leftovers. To reheat – allow to thaw completely first then preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 C) and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until heated through.
Scroll to the bottom for a full recipe card.
Have you ever had The Beltline Bar’s Famous Wet Burritos in Grand Rapids, Michigan or the wet burritos from The Grand Villa Dungeon in Grandville, Michigan? Then you will love this recipe! I think this recipe tastes even better and the best part is you can make them in your own kitchen without waiting hours in line for a table.
What is the difference between a burrito, an enchilada, and a chimichanga?
What is a burrito?
A burrito starts with a flour tortilla that’s wrapped all the way around one or more ingredients in the style of an envelope. Burritos can be filled with just about anything, including meat, cheese, eggs, sausage, sauce, beans, and several types of vegetables. They are typically large and just one usually fills up a dinner plate. Some are smothered in sauce while others can be picked up and eaten with your hands.
What is an enchilada?
Enchiladas start with small corn tortillas and are wrapped around a filling and rolled up but the ends are not typically tucked in. They’re usually served in a bed of enchilada sauce or chili sauce with a sprinkling of cheese on top. They are typically small and several can fit on one dinner plate. Enchiladas are almost always eaten with a fork because they’re usually smothered with sauce.
What is a chimichanga?
Chimichangas are basically deep fried burritos. They can also be brushed with oil and baked in the oven to get a crispy outer shell. They start with a burrito sized flour tortilla and fillings vary but are usually filled with the same kinds of fillings found in burritos. Chimichangas are usually served with sour cream, guacamole, enchilada sauce, and cheese on top.
How to make Best Ever Smothered Wet Burritos:
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 C).
This post contains affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, if you click through an affiliate link and make a purchase, I may make a small commission. This disclosure pertains to all Amazon links.
In a frying pan over medium high heat, brown the ground beef and onion. Click for a medium skillet.
Cook and stir the beef and onions until evenly browned and onion is translucent.
Drain the grease, and sprinkle in the garlic, cumin, salt and pepper.
Stir in the green chilies and refried beans until well blended. Turn off the heat, but keep warm.
In a sauce pan, combine the tomato sauce, no-bean chili, and enchilada sauce. Whisk together until mixed well, and cook over medium heat until heated through. Turn off the heat and keep warm. Click for a whisk.
Place a burrito sized tortilla on a plate. Try to divide the beef mixture into six equal portions. Place 1/6 of the beef mixture onto each tortilla.
Top the ground beef mixture with a little cheese. We like lettuce baked inside of ours but you can leave it out if you don’t want it. You can substitute or add other veggies as well.
Fold in the left and right side of the tortilla over the filling, holding it in place with your fingers.
Then fold in the top and bottom sides of the tortilla over the filling, like an envelope, and place seam side down in 2 greased 9 x 13 oven safe dishes. Click for a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Pour the entire pan of sauce over the tops of the burritos.
Cover the top with cheese.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until the burritos are heated through and the cheese is melted.
Top with more lettuce, tomato, sour cream and chives or green onions.
Crispy Chicken Chimichangas with Green Chili Sauce
These baked homemade Crispy Chicken Chimichangas and Green Chili Sauce are out of this world! The chicken filling is cooked and seasoned to perfection, then stuffed inside tortilla shells, and oven baked until crispy. They are then topped with a cheesy, sour cream and green chili sauce.
Breakfast Crunchwraps are an easy and delicious alternative to breakfast burritos which don't have this amazing crispy fried golden brown tortilla shell. These are perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner for two. The filling options are endless and you can add any of the breakfast ingredients you love the most.
Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas
These Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas have onion, diced chicken, green chiles, and black beans wrapped inside a tortilla shell and smothered in red enchilada sauce and creamy melted Cobly Jack cheese. Top them with some sour cream and diced green onion, if desired.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4.5 oz can diced green chile peppers
- 16 oz can refried beans
- 7 oz can tomato sauce
- 10 oz can enchilada sauce
- 15 oz can no-bean chili
- 6 flour burrito size tortillas (12 inch)
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Dried chives for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 C).
- Brown the ground beef and onion in a skillet over medium high heat. Cook and stir until evenly browned and onion is translucent. Click for a medium skillet.
- Drain grease, and season with the garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir in the green chilies and refried beans until well blended. Turn off heat, but keep warm.
- In a saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, no-bean chili, and enchilada sauce. Whisk together until mixed well, and cook over medium heat until heated through. Turn off heat and keep warm. Click for a whisk.
- Place a burrito sized tortilla on a plate and place about a 1/2 cup of the ground beef mixture onto the center. I divide the beef mixture into six equal portions.Top with a little cheese and lettuce. You can substitute or add other veggies as well.
- Fold in the left and right side of the tortilla over the filling, holding in place with your fingers. Then fold in the top and bottom sides of the tortilla over the filling (like an envelope) and place seam side down in greased 9 x 13 oven safe dish. Click for a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Pour the entire saucepan of the sauce over the top.
- Cover the top with cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until burritos are heated through and cheese is melted. Top with more lettuce, tomato, sour cream and dried chives.
- If your cooking for two, you can freeze the leftovers.
- To reheat - allow to thaw completely first then preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 C) and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until heated through.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1057 Total Fat: 31g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 108mg Sodium: 1511mg Carbohydrates: 140g Fiber: 13g Sugar: 11g Protein: 54g