This Easy Butternut Squash Soup has a slightly sweet flavor, mixed with savory seasonings and cream cheese. It’s creamy, comforting, and seriously delicious!
This recipe is moderately low-carb, but not necessarily by Keto extreme low-carb guidelines.
Scroll to the bottom for a full recipe card.
This winter squash soup is quick to prepare and is ready in just 35 minutes. It’s perfect for an intimate Thanksgiving or Christmas meal. Try this small batch recipe as a soup course, lunch, or a romantic date night dinner for two.
How to make easy Butternut Squash Soup:
Butternut squash is a little sweet due to the sugars naturally present in the squash, and also slightly nutty in flavor.
Choose a small Butternut squash which will yield around 2 cups of squash. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
Place one half face down on a plate, and microwave for about 8 to 10 minutes. Repeat with the second squash half.
At the same time, dice the onion.
In a medium saucepan, cook the onions in butter until tender, about 5 minutes.
Scoop out the tender cooked squash from the shell and add it to the sauce pan with the onions.
Add the broth, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper to the pan.
Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, if you click through an affiliate link and make a purchase, I may make a small commission.
Stir in the cream cheese and puree the soup in the pan with an immersion blender. An immersion blender is the easiest way to puree because you can do it right inside your pan, but you can also use a regular blender or food processor. Click for an immersion blender.
Cook the soup in the sauce pan until heated through, but do not allow to boil.
Top with a swirl of sour cream and fresh cracked black pepper, if desired.
Easy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
This easy homemade Chicken Noodle Soup for two is hearty and delicious and made in just one pan. I love the flavors of the sage and thyme and the big chunky carrots, onion and celery in this soup. You can also use leftover Thanksgiving turkey as another delicious alternative. This small batch recipe is perfect for lunch, dinner, or as a soup course before your meal.
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 small butternut squash (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth (or unsalted chicken broth)
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (Optional – adds spicy heat)
- 2 Tablespoons cream cheese (softened)
- Sour cream (for garnish – optional)
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Place one half face down on a plate, and microwave for about 8 to 10 minutes. Repeat with the second squash half.
- At the same time, dice the onion.
- In a medium saucepan, cook the onions in butter until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Scoop out the microwaved squash from the shell and add it to the sauce pan.
- Add the broth, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cream cheese and puree the soup in the pan with an immersion blender (or move to a regular blender and blend until smooth). Click for an immersion blender.
- Cook in the sauce pan until heated through. Do not allow to boil.
- Top with a swirl of sour cream and fresh cracked black pepper, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 126 Saturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 132mg Carbohydrates: 3g Sugar: 1g Protein: 3g