This easy Spaghetti with homemade meat sauce takes just a few minutes of prep and then a slow simmer on the stove for a beef packed classic Italian spaghetti.
This sauce from scratch is easy to make and super delicious, so much better than store bought. This dish makes a great lunch, dinner or impressive date night meal for two. Serve it with a fresh side salad and some garlic bread or bread sticks.
Scroll to the bottom for a full recipe card.
To read more about the history and how it’s made check out this article about spaghetti.
How to make Spaghetti with homemade Meat Sauce:
Cut the onion into small pieces.
This post contains affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, if you click through an affiliate link and make a purchase, I may make a small commission. This disclosure pertains to all Amazon links.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the ground beef and onion. Click for a medium saucepan.
Cook and stir until the ground beef is brown and the onions are translucent and tender.
Drain the grease and return the ground beef and onions to the sauce pan.
Stir into the pan the garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and water.
Sprinkle in the oregano, basil, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
Slow simmer the spaghetti sauce for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Near the end of the sauce cooking time, prepare the spaghetti pasta according to the package directions.
Drain the spaghetti pasta, divide it between 2 plates, and top with the homemade meat sauce.
Garnish with fresh parsley and additional Parmesan cheese if desired.
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 onion
- 1 teaspoon jarred minced garlic
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste (about 2 oz)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley , (plus more for garnish)
- 1/8 cup Parmesan cheese , (plus more for garnish)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 oz spaghetti (uncooked)
- Dice onion.
- Combine ground beef and onion in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Click here for a medium saucepan.
- Cook and stir until meat is brown and onions are tender.
- Drain grease and return beef and onions to pan.
- Stir garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and water into pan.
- Sprinkle in oregano, basil, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer spaghetti sauce 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Near the end of sauce cooking time, prepare spaghetti pasta according to package directions.
- Drain spaghetti pasta, divide between 2 plates, and top with homemade meat sauce.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and additional Parmesan cheese if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 594Saturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 1329mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 5gSugar: 11gProtein: 32g